• Does your manager need a hire car – check all requirements if so?
• Check the location on a good up to date, large scale map or on the internet. Invest in sat nav if not already in the car!
• Plan the route from the start of the journey to the destination – if you are unsure travel organisations such as the AA can help or you could use a computer software package or website that plots routes for you – www.multimap.com, www.mapquest.co.uk or www.googlemaps.com .
• You then need to estimate or get advice on how long the journey will take – check radio/internet/TV/travel organisations for any roadworks, weather problems or other expected delays.
• Is overnight accommodation required?
• Are there places to stop for meals if required?
• Are there parking facilities where required and are passes/permits needed? How much?
• Check times and whether or not trains are direct
• What services are available on the train?
• Does your manager travel first or second class?
• Are there discount tickets available if you book in advance?
• Book ticket and reserve a seat as soon as possible
• www.thetrainline.com, www.redspottedhanky.com, - search Charity Line trains
• How does your manager get to the station for departure and how does he/she get from the destination station to the meeting location? Is a taxi or hire car required? London underground (is a ticket for this included in the price of the main ticket)? Should your manager invest in an Oyster card? Or a Nol card in Dubai?
• Will someone locally arrange for your manager to be met?
• How far is the meeting location from the railway station?
• Are there any risks of delays that day?
• Do you need to delegate this to a travel agent?
No matter where your manager is going it is always a good idea to give her/him a detailed itinerary for each day. You should give timings, locations, names, titles, telephone numbers, names and numbers of taxi firms, flight numbers, seat numbers. Every single detail helps and your manager will have them all at her/his fingertips if they are all on the itinerary.